Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > World Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-13, 05:49 PM
Regular

Default South Africa

After having a great weekend meeting up with Mac ( Aquilla 1 ), and Andy ( Subbysmith ), and looking at some great pics on here, I started looking through some old holiday Photo's from a trip to South Africa.
It was a few years ago now, back in 2006 when I had the chance to go to Kruger national park, along with my cousin and a local guide we had met a few years before. The plan was to spend 10 days there, staying in different lodges to try to see as much as possible.
Having landed at Johanesburg, we travelled to our first lodge in scorching temperatures of around 40 degrees. This didn't last however as from the second day it started to rain, almost constantly for the next 8 days lol. Even our guide could not believe the amount of rain.
The countryside out there is amazing, regardless of the weather. To be honest it wasn't strictly about watching the birds, as all the wildlife that can be seen is pretty spectacular too. The downside to it being so wet was that the animals didn't have to come to the waterholes, as they could find water any where, we had our work cut out to find the wildlife.
The Birdlife however was far easier to see, sadly I'm not a great photographer and the camera at the time was fairly basic, a Fuji 3MP with 6x optical zoom. I've put some pics in an album on my profile, the best I could find of birds sadly, rather than attaching them on here. Took over 800 photo's I think ( some not that good really lol ).
The bird count in 10 days was 137 species, maybe not such an impressive count, but the quantity and quality of birds was very impressive ( for me any way ), 17 species of Raptors.
Wont bore you with a full list, but the ones that stand out are the sunbirds with there beautiful iridescent colours, Brown Snake Eagle catching and wrestling with a snake ( couldn't say what the snake was ), and then as it was February when we went, watching all the swallows gathering ready to make the start of their spring migration back again.
Ok think I've gone on long enough now, don't wanna bore you too much lol, from now on it will just be UK reports on here
Old 07-07-13, 06:01 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to aquila 1

Brilliant Rod you post as many as you like but how about some pictures to go with your report, I must admit I would love to go to south Africa, and to see the wonderful wildlife, well done on your first report. regards mac
Old 07-07-13, 08:32 PM
Regular

Thanks Mac

Ok here's some pics lol
Attached Thumbnails
south-africa-dscf0027.jpg   south-africa-dscf0033.jpg   south-africa-dscf0069.jpg  
Old 07-07-13, 08:40 PM
Regular

some more
Attached Thumbnails
south-africa-dscf0038.jpg   south-africa-dscf0005.jpg   south-africa-dscf0175.jpg  
Old 07-07-13, 08:41 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to aquila 1

blimey Rod you have posted your first post with a right bang, well done they are great pictures, keep them coming.
Old 07-07-13, 08:57 PM
Regular

last few
Old 07-07-13, 09:05 PM
Regular

last few
Attached Thumbnails
south-africa-dscf0072.jpg   south-africa-dscf0084.jpg  

Last edited by Rod292; 08-07-13 at 04:44 AM.
Old 08-07-13, 08:35 AM
Regular

Wow and wow again! A splendid post from you Rob! I hope you were not as close to the animals as some images would suggest!

A pity the weather turned against you but no doubt it did not deter from what must have been a brilliant experience!

Thanks for the images...more if you have some you want to share please!

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 08-07-13, 09:20 PM
Regular

Thank you very much.

The weather certainly didn't spoil anything really, apart from it turned what were once small streams and dry river beds into raging torrents of water at times lol, so it made some roads impassable.

And yeah we did get that close to some of the animals, at least we were sat in a truck at the time lol.

Not sure if it shows up well on this pic, but that was a bridge over a river once
Attached Thumbnails
south-africa-dscf0042.jpg  
Old 09-07-13, 08:51 AM
Regular

Strewth!! Impassable by the looks of it!

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright