Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > World Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-02-14, 02:51 PM
Regular

Default Madeira, Portugal. Februuary 2014.

I returned home this week after a week's holiday on the Island of Madeira, my first visit to this Portuguese archipelago. The weather was very good with just one day of rain, a welcome respite from the downpours of rain and grey days in the UK.

I had pre-booked a days Guided Birdwatching with Madeira Wind Birds | Madeira Birdwatching Whale Dolphin Watching Tours and a most enjoyable day it turned out to be with some special bird sightings, magnificent scenery and good company!

The highlight bird species seen were: Berthelot's Pipit ( Breeds in Madeira and the Canary Islands) Trocaz Pigeon and Madeira Firecrest are both endemic to the island of Madeira and Atlantic Canary ( is endemic to the Canary Islands, Azores and Madeira). Atlantic Canaries were to be seen and heard in many areas visited and were delightful to hear singing in the hotel gardens along with Blackcaps.

I was surprised to see Muscovy Ducks in good numbers in two areas visited, I have never come across them on mainland Portugal..

Madeiran Wall Lizards were abundant in rural and urban areas sunning themselves in hotspots! Numerous Monarch and a few Long-tailed Blue butterflies were a sheer delight to see!
Attached Thumbnails
madeira-portugal-februuary-2014-madeira-firecrest.jpg   madeira-portugal-februuary-2014-atlantic-canary...-serinus-canaria-3.jpg   madeira-portugal-februuary-2014-berthelots-pipit-ponta-do-pargo-madeira.-copy.jpg   madeira-portugal-februuary-2014-blackcap-f-.jpg.jpg   madeira-portugal-februuary-2014-maderian-wall-lizard-2.jpg  

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 14-02-14, 02:53 PM
Regular

A few more images:

EDIT: My apologies for the incorrect spelling of February in the 'Title' of my thread. Of course we all know February only has one 'u'! I cannot edit the title so it must remain unless those in power can amend it for me.
Attached Thumbnails
madeira-portugal-februuary-2014-banded-garden-spider-1.jpg   madeira-portugal-februuary-2014-monarch....-danaus-plexippus-2.jpg   madeira-portugal-februuary-2014-view-1.jpg   madeira-portugal-februuary-2014-view-2.jpg   madeira-portugal-februuary-2014-view-3.jpg  

- Frank Lloyd Wright

Last edited by Little Sparrow; 14-02-14 at 05:19 PM.
Old 14-02-14, 08:51 PM
Regular

Lovely pictures Judith! Really pleased that you had a good time and how nice to see wild canaries!
Old 14-02-14, 10:25 PM
Regular

Glad you've had a good holiday in Madeira Judith - I thoroughly enjoyed my visit last October. Tried to book up again for last week but couldn't get a flight from Manchester. I'm sat drinking Cava in Gran Canaria typing this - managed a last minute booking. No sign of the Hoopoes so far. I'll report on my sightings when I get back next week.
Old 15-02-14, 10:07 AM
Regular

Lovely photos, Judith.

I'm glad you had a good holiday with interesting sightings. Madeira looks like a good destination for some winter sun.
Old 15-02-14, 10:33 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by astafjevs View Post
Lovely pictures Judith! Really pleased that you had a good time and how nice to see wild canaries!
The Canaries were a real treat Stuart, in good numbers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijwilki View Post
Glad you've had a good holiday in Madeira Judith - I thoroughly enjoyed my visit last October. Tried to book up again for last week but couldn't get a flight from Manchester. I'm sat drinking Cava in Gran Canaria typing this - managed a last minute booking. No sign of the Hoopoes so far. I'll report on my sightings when I get back next week.
Enjoy your Cava and good luck with Hoopoes Ian! I shall look forward to reading your report! Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraMac View Post
Lovely photos, Judith.

I'm glad you had a good holiday with interesting sightings. Madeira looks like a good destination for some winter sun.
It was good to see some different species on this holiday Dora! The Lizards were very confiding once they had settled in the warm sunshine!

Thank you all for your kind comments.

- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 15-02-14, 11:15 PM
Regular

Glad you had a great trip. I think it should be spelt with two U's, a better chance of me spelling it right!

Never been to that part of the world or are aware it is Portuguese. Great shots. Erindoors is talking about going there for a winter break.
Old 16-02-14, 09:36 AM
Regular

Thanks Peter.

A winter break would be quieter than a main season break on Madeira I would imagine!

- Frank Lloyd Wright