Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > World Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-03-16, 03:36 PM
Regular

Default Salgados, Algarve

Returned on Wednesday from a 10 day trip to the Algarve. It was so quiet being out of season. Weather was OK but not brilliant. Stayed not far from the Salgados lagoon - plenty of birdlife.

On our second day the sand bar between the lagoon and the sea was deliberately breached, draining the lower part of the lagoon to reveal sand/mud flats. I think it had a positive effect on the wader numbers.

Had several walks around the lagoon and into the scrub beyond. Quite a good selection of birds and I'm sure I would have seen more had I taken my scope with me - as it was I had to rely on my 8x42 binos.

Birds identified:

Black-winged Stilt, Avocet, Cormorant, Flamingo, Kentish Plover, Little Grebe, Pochard, Mallard, House Sparrow, Corn Bunting (lifer), Bluethroat (lifer), Crested Lark, Short-toed Lark (lifer), Kestrel, Reed Warbler, Meadow Pipit, Barn Swallow, Red-rumped Swallow (lifer), Swift, House Martin, Blackbird, Coot, Moorhen, Magpie, Azure-winged Magpie (lifer), Shoveler, Sanderling, Collared Dove, Linnet, Goldfinch, Yellow Wagtail, Pied Wagtail, Common Sandpiper, Grey Heron, Little Egret, Cattle Egret, Glossy Ibis, Spoonbill (lifer), White Stork (lifer), Ringed Plover, Redshank, Red-legged Partridge, Sardinian Warbler, Zitting Cisticola, Marsh Harrier, a selection of Gulls and either a Willow Warbler or Iberian Chiffchaff (probably a WW but could have been an IW which would be a lifer!).

Last edited by ijwilki; 26-03-16 at 03:29 PM.
Old 25-03-16, 10:11 PM
Regular

As well as the birds we saw this fella near the edge of the lagoon:
Attached Thumbnails
salgados-algarve-img_7875_edited-2.jpg  
Old 26-03-16, 10:20 PM
Regular

Fantastic list of birds there. It's an ambition of mine to take a dedicated birding holiday abroad; or at least a holiday in a birding hotspot with some time dedicated to birding. Alas my wife has other ideas about what and where constitutes a holiday, so I have to squeeze birding in with the other stuff.

Sadly our holiday arrangements for later this year, including birding days in the Picos De Europa, have had to be cancelled for more pressing health matters. Ah well . Life!!!

Tony
Old 27-03-16, 01:28 PM
Regular

I know what you mean Tony. It's been a difficult 12 months for my wife and I healthwise, especially for my wife. It was handy that we were staying near the Salgados lagoon, within walking distance in fact. I would have liked to explore the interior of Portugal and the Atlantic coast but it was not possible, my wife was just not up for it.
Old 27-03-16, 04:15 PM
Regular

Sounds like a good trip Ian, some very good birds on that list!